I’m a Guelph lawyer providing service in Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Toronto, the GTA and Beijing. Other locations available on request.
Service is 24/7 with day, evening and weekend appointments available.
My expertise is in startups, business and tax law, but my team provides real estate closings, Wills, and other common legal services.
I have 10+ years consulting experience and am the only Mandarin-Chinese speaking lawyer in Guelph. Consulting clients include Compass Group (Fortune 500, world’s largest contract food service company), a major government in Asia and NYT Best Selling Author Ramit Sethi. More about me here.
How to Choose the Right Lawyer
You will likely find your lawyer in 1 of 2 ways:
- via Google search — and select someone from the first page of results
- referral — from a friend or family member
Here’s the risk: just because someone ranks high on Google doesn’t mean they are a good lawyer, and similarly if a lawyer did a Will for your friend they may not be the best person to help sell your house.
Guelph is home to 182 lawyers and 29 paralegals and most of us are in private practice. So with such a large group to choose from, how do you choose the right lawyer?
I recommend ranking your options on three major points:
- Expertise – does the lawyer appear to have expertise in the area of law you require? If they have written articles or spoken publicly about a topic they are likely an expert.
- Online Reviews – the internet loves to complain, so it’s easy to find negative reviews of almost any business. And if you just read testimonials on the lawyer’s site of course they will all be positive. If you find positive reviews from a neutral source these should be given more weight, and even better if the lawyer directs you to this source. E.g., here is my Google plus page where clients review my work.
- Good Character – the vast majority of lawyers I know are good people. They are trustworthy, discrete and work hard for clients. However, I’ve also met lawyers who brag about how they bill clients for work they didn’t actually do. Good character is a judgement call, and if you consciously assess it you can better protect yourself. Here’s another example: watch our for lawyers that promise you results that seem too good to be true. Most cases have good arguments for both sides, and a good lawyer will tell you a reasonable range of results.
There is however, a major shortcut you can take. If there is a lawyer you trust, then just ask for a referral. You can call me any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, and with a very brief discussion of your matter I’ll be able to refer you to a trusted expert in my network.
For general recommendations, see the list below.
Recommended Lawyers in Guelph
Important: These lawyers do not work with my firm, but I have worked with each of them in the past and trust that they will take good care of you.
|Kristina Tesser – Kristina is a family law lawyer who mostly does litigation (i.e., divorce where the parties haven’t agreed on terms). She is smart, empathetic and appreciates the urgency of your matter.|
|Heather Wood – Heather is a family law lawyer practicing with Nelson, Watson LLP. If you are adopting a child, she is my #1 recommendation to assist with the process. Read her profile, here or call 519-821-9610.|
|Evan Campbell – Evan is another lawyer practicing with Miller Thomson in Guelph. He specializes in employment and labour law, so if you are hiring, firing, or otherwise involved in an employee/employer relationship I recommend you give him a call BEFORE you make the big decision. Profile here, phone: 519-780-4634 and email: email@example.com.|
|Dennis Crawford – Dennis is a lawyer with GGFI LLP. His office is in Kitchener, but meeting with him is worth the travel time. Dennis is a smart, balanced and extremely effective litigator. If your business dispute is in court, I recommend reviewing Dennis’ profile here and calling him at 519-579-4300.|
|Michael Alexis – I recommend my own services if you are a) a small business owner (especially startups) or b) planning a residential real estate purchase or sale (I believe I have the best team in Guelph for these transactions). Email firstname.lastname@example.org|